Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The thing about moving away is that the last couple of weeks before you go, you find yourself surrounded by social events. Sometimes they are of your own invention, for instance, the going-away party that I will be having on this coming Friday, but more often, they are activities (usually eating) thought up by one's friends and family. Yesterday, after a roaring migraine, I had to postpone my lunch with Rick, but following my dental appointment, I was by this time well enough for dinner with friends of the family. Mostly, I enjoyed it, but everyone was accutely aware of one person's absence, by his own choice, and for his own petty reasons. But, photos were looked at, Thai food was eaten, and generally, I had a good time with some of the people I love the most.

Today, or rather tonight, I went back into Toronto and enjoyed dinner with some of my favourite girls from the ROM. It's Winterlicious and so I got to enjoy a fancy restaurant's prix fixe menu. Where? Mildred Pierce Restaurant. If you click the link and enter the site, we were seated at the round table in the corner, which was perfect for lots of conversation and laughter. Even with the special menu, dinner was pricey, but particularly because of the two bottles of wine drunk. Including tip, dinner came to around $375 for five people. Honestly, the cost of alcohol in restaurants is ridiculous. I don't know how they can get away with charging what they do. BUT, nevermind - we had a good time and it was well worth it, at least food-wise. Even though it is Winterlicious, we were not rushed through our meal at all, because Tuesday just isn't a big night in dining.

Later this week, I anticipate the rescheduled lunch with Rick, a brunch with my "Cool auntie Karen" and of course there will be food at my party. Chances are good that there will be at least one other lunch had in Toronto next week, and at least one dinner here in Peterborough. It's a good thing I lost weight in Winnipeg, or I'd have no room to gain it back. ;)