Sunday, December 25, 2005

First, let me wish everyone a very Merry Christmas ! Never mind the politically correct, seasonally appropriate greetings, it's Christmas. Most people I know who celebrate other holidays (ie. Jews, Muslims, Buddists) don't care if they are wished a merry Christmas - so long as the sentiment is there. So, my sentiment is this: Be safe, be well, find peace, be kind, and may yours and the generosity of others make your life better, sweeter, and positive. And seriously, I'm good with celebrating the birth of a heroic, important, really cool guy, Messiah or not.

With that out of the way, here is a brief run-down on my life since Friday, but starting with my day yesterday. It started with an idiotically late taxi, which was far more complicated than it needed to be at 4am. Once at the airport, everything else went off without a hitch. My shuttle driver met me moments of coming through the gate and the ride back was a riot. There were two middle aged women from Pittsburgh, PA and Boston, MA heading to the Petes to surprise their cousins, a father and his son coming in to visit from Halifax, NS, me, and a pair of slightly younger 20-somethings who'd arrived from Thunder Bay up in Northern Ontario. Everyone was friendly and fun.

I arrived home in time for lunch, which was yummy homemade soup. My mom's gardner/handyman, Miles, stopped in with his little boy, David. They're ultra Christian, but they're such good, loving people it doesn't matter. David sang the song he performed in the church pageant (he was dressed as a horse) and there were cookies and drinks and stuff. Then I took a bath. I fell asleep in the bath. Then I started on the tree, stopped for dinner (mmm, turkey), finished the tree, wrapped my presents, and was done just in time for the classic, Miracle on 34th St, which is possibly my favourite American Christmas movie not including anything with Muppets. Church was out - I was just too tired to bother with make-up and dressing up and Mom basically felt the same.

I didnt end up at the tavern Friday night, either, because I decided I couldn't handle another round of goodbyes. I decided to make sure everything was packed, vacuumed my apt., and sorted out various other things of import. Then I napped, woke up, played some freecell, went back to sleep and repeated that pattern thrice, before actually getting out of bed at 3am.

Tonight, we're off to the Mutton's for Christmas dinner, as per usual. Much good fun will be had, I'm sure, as will a shrimp ring and a fair amount of wine, presents and games. I don't know what to wear. I'm thinner than I was this time last year, so I shall have to pick more carefully. Tomorrow is D&D here in town, which will be fun. I will pick Rick up at the bus terminal around lunch time, and then later on there will be meatballs courtesy of Al's mom. Yay, meatballs !

Leaving Winnipeg behind was hard. I really loved it there, and more specifically at the Manitoba Museum. I have made friends for life, I know, and my life is better for the bonds built in that three-and-a-half month period. I feel that I have grown in every facet of my being, professionally, personally, emotionally, and developed my independence. I know that the road ahead will be bumpy, and in the direct future, there will be hitches, but I know I can handle it. I have love, health, will, and strength. I can do it. I am lucky. And I am very grateful.

I shall write more in the near future. Merry Christmas, everyone, and Kwanzaa, and later tonight, Happy Hanukkah, too. :)