Saturday, June 11, 2005

For some reason, today I have camp songs in my head. I imagine this is because of the weather, which is more than just a little reminiscent of those mornings when I used to load onto a school bus and head down to Harbourfront. There, hundreds of children would converge and board the ferry to Ward Island. I used to love Island Camp (with the exception of one councilor who told me I had "huge" earlobes). But it was the bus ride that was full of singing. And, of course, there was also sleep-over camp at Kemur where we'd sing around the campfire. Each camp had its own selection of songs, but there were some common to both. For instance, "The other day (I met a bear)", and "My eyes are dim" (the latter being one of my favourites). Island camp had "the Aardvark song" and a particularly long and harmonious version of "Ship Titanic", while Kemur had "Whooping Cough" and the rudest versions of "Ain't no flies" I've ever heard. I can stun people with my raunchy rhymes.

Thinking about Island Camp makes me want to visit the Islands again. I recently saw someone's photographs of the hedge maze and it's actually TALL now. For years, I could see over it and find my way so easily. The fact that it's over my head is very exciting. I just need to find a day to go do it. If I weren't going to Juliane's bridal shower tomorrow, I could do that. Oh well. I signed on for this wedding business - it's too late to back out ! Actually, it's a shower with a hat theme, so I'm going to see if I can find a propellor beanie after work, and if not, I'll just make a tinfoil hat to keep out the alien mind-reading/controlling rays. I'll certainly, um, stand out.

In other news, utterly unrelated to camp songs, I've been perusing the City of Winnipeg website, which has some really interesting census information about it and what not. I've heard things about Winnipeg's downtown and north end that aren't charming, and the maps pretty much spell it out. So, since the Manitoba Museum is, I believe, located in or around the downtown, the key will be to find a place that is close but not in rough shape. Happily, I may have a contact (if not a potential landlord) so hopefully this won't be too much of a challenge.