Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Another bridal shower under my belt, credit card fraud, and a movie star moment at the ROM. That sort of sums up the past week.

I'm feeling a bit down today, as I did yesterday, too; I miss my cat an awful lot. I have felt her loss quite poignantly lately, especially when my mother talks about losing Chester last summer and regaining him. I realise just how lucky we were to get him back, but at the same time, I can't help wishing I could have gotten Willi back, too. I really miss her. I miss her voice, her attitude, her being there when I needed my little friend. Last night, Chester came into my bedroom while I was working on the computer and for a split second I really thought it was her. Today, I can't stop thinking about her. Out in the garden, in the house. I miss her little dancy self. And there is nothing I can do to bring her back.

But, life goes on, and over the last week, it certainly has. It boggles my mind to think that Summer Solstice is upon us already ! It depresses me a little, because there is so much I had meant to get done at this point and it seems all I am doing is riding the bus back and forth to Toronto. Today, no matter what, I will sit down with Tracy's wedding invitation materials and really get to work.

Speaking of weddings, Tanya's bridal shower was on Saturday and was preceded by gown fittings. I have to say, I don't actually look that bad in the mauve, but then, I can wear purples, even light ones. I still think the sweep train is going to get in the way - I step on my clothing at the best of times - but generally speaking, I do like the shape of the top. I don't like the plastic boning. These gowns are not cheap and the plastic boning IS cheap. Reinforced seams and actual shaping of the garment would do a better job of giving form than the boning does. At least on a figure like mine. On a pencil girl, it probably doesn't matter, but the way I look at boning is, it might as well do something, you know? But, like I said, I'm surprised by how nice I look in the colour and all the multicoloured gowns do actually work nicely with the beautiful embroidery on Tanya's gown.

The bridal shower was okay, I guess, though I still don't see why people can't just give the bride money. I know that some people, especially those of British and North-western European extraction, frown upon giving money, but in this day and age, it just makes so much more sense when so many couples already live together or have been living on their own and therefore amassed a fair amount of stuff. And, when I'm talking about giving money, I don't mean gift certificates, unless they're for a location specifically requested by the bride. Now, I realise that many old women seem to enjoy these events, but when the brides don't actually want a traditional shower, why inflict one on them? Now, to be fair, we did have an awful lot of fun once the presents were opened. The cake had a picture of Tanya and Chris on it that many got a great deal of pleasure cutting up and eating. The food was good and conversation was easy and unpretentious. And, to the maid-of-honour's credit, the games we played were pretty fun, but probably mostly because of the silliness of several guests, myself included. Yet again, I was the 'jester' among the bridesmaids, but I realised that I'm not the only one. :)

Now, the night before this bridal hoopla, I checked my credit card online. I had planned to order something for Tanya for the wedding, and wanted to make sure the $300 I'd put on it was there for paying down the first of the gowns. Imagine my utter surprise when I discovered several transactions in EUROS based out of... France. That's right. My card apparently made several purchases based out of Chatillon, Villiers, and Versailles. I sort of blinked and boggled, laughed and then called up Mastercard to see what could be done. Unfortunately, I can't get my money back until I sign and return the afidavit MC will be sending me. The card, or course, was closed, which means that there might be some risidual payments that don't work, and I might get in trouble for. I'm not sure, since this hasn't ever happened to me before. At any rate, I've had to live rather tightly this week since my last paycheque kind of... well, when you only work three short shifts in two weeks, your cheque is going to suck.

And, finally, the only other thing of note occured at the ROM on Sunday afternoon when Antonio Banderas came in with Melanie Griffiths and one of their kids. *I* got to serve him and let me tell you, he IS as attractive in real life as he is on film (she, by the way, is not - cosmetic surgery has not been her friend), and he was extremely polite. He started talking to me with his sunglasses on and relised this and hastily took them off for real eye-contact. He said 'please' and 'thank you' several times, smiled through the entire transaction and wished me a good afternoon when it was over. I was, of course, professional and pleasant, smiling and offering directions like a good little museum worker should, though I'm sure my excitement was probably obvious to him. And yes, ladies, he really isn't all that tall, but he's polite and that makes up for it. ;) Star factor doesn't wow me, but when famous people are polite and pleasant, I am VERY impressed. Antonio now sits among the ranks of other polite, friendly famous guests of the museum such as John Malkovic, Tim Curry, and Peta Wilson, all of whom I've served.

In other news, the planning of my internship at the Manitoba Museum is going well, with several opportunities available to me. I am very excited about it. Now I will begin making arrangement for accomodation and travel. Once I've paid tuition (soon, I hope), I can go and get my international student card for delicious discounts on train tickets. I'm only asking for a couple of things for my birthday, the main item being an upgrade from a basic seat to a sleeping berth, which will allow me into the dining car and scenic viewing car. I can't believe I've only got two months before I go. Wow.

Also, I am very likely going to be competing at the CNE in the hunter/jumper competitions. I can't believe it. *laugh*