Monday, May 16, 2005

Tonight, Rick and I finally went to see Sin City. Finally. And it was worth the wait, I think. Very attractive, very stylish movie in the spirit of the original graphic novels (with which I admit not having had more than a smattering of experience). Once again, I am impressed by the work of its director, Robert Rodriguez, who I first discovered when I was in high school and my friend Digs introduced me to El Mariachi (and the delightful short film Bed Head). There were a few scenes that I felt lost some of their aesthetic quality in favour of the brutish and ugly, but I suppose the lapse allowed for a point to be made. Sin City is possibly the most violent movie I've seen in a long time, but even the violence and blood is so choreographed (and bleached of colour) that it is attractive, too. It has a good story, too, which is nice. I like this trend in recent comics inspired movies (like Hellboy, for instance) and hope that it will continue.

I've been in Toronto since Wednesday and I want to go back to Peterborough, despite the fun I've had. Last night I went to a house party where I was able to eat tasty things and -really- geek out (like I don't do that normally, or something). I've been playing video games and have even done some drawing, but I want to go back to Mom's now. The film shoot going on outside of Rick's apartment is tiresome, the gunshots in it were loud and frequent. The air is a bit hazy and frankly, I REALLY miss having a garden, or at least a porch or balcony. Rick's place is devoid of such a thing. There is a very unpleasant sun room off the living room, but it's mostly a place to put stuff since it's not insulated and is therefore unlivable at any time of the year except October and April (maybe).

I did finish painting Rick's living room finally, and started doing some of the trim in the hallway. I fully intend to clean the place up - just in time, no doubt, for Rick to move out. Ah well. The living room wall took THREE coats of white to cover up the yucky-white that was already there. The chain smoking that went on in the apartment before Rick quit smoking has really stained the place. The nicotine and tar kept leaching through the paint. I'm still not convinced that three coats was actually enough. My next project is to repot my plants, the ones that did not die over the winter under Rick's somewhat less than nurturing care. I must pick up a bag of potting soil on the way home from the ROM tomorrow and then on Tuesday, I'll spread out some newspaper and get to it.

In other news, I'm in a bit of a quandry trying to figure out where I want to see Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I know what I said, that I didn't want to see it on opening night, on principle because of the suckiness of the previous two, but thanks to Revelations stirring up the hype, I'm kind of jonesing. I've also heard that it might be more satisfying than the previous two, but I have had a chance to catch some of the script and the writing is, yes, truly terrible. Again. Dilemma ! Techknight is going to pick up tickets tomorrow evening and he plans to call me from the theatre in order to score me a ticket, if I want to attend with him, but like I said, I don't know if I should be in Peterborough to see it or not. I suppose I could see it in both places... I dunno. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have made a decision. Time is running out !