Tuesday, April 12, 2005

In half an hour, the new Dr. Who comes on television. I watched it last week - the first episode - and was far from disappointed. In fact, I enjoyed it about as much as humanly possible. It was thoroughly modern, updated, hip, and yet also hokey, goofy, and didn't take itself seriously. The new Dr. is wonderful and I'll do my best to absorb as much of him as possible, since he quit the show after the first 13 episodes. Boo on him. At any rate, Tuesdays will have meaning to me, now, in two different timeslots, not just when Special Victims Unit is on. While, I wait until it begins, I do have some time to catch everyone up on things going on this week.

First of all, tomorrow, after class, I will head to Toronto, and then to Hamilton to spend the night with Rick at his parents'. You see, on Thursday morning, we're getting a ride from them to Buffalo airport. This is terribly exciting ! Well, not the ride, but the trip we'll be taking. Also, this means we'll be crossing the border in a car, rather than on a bus ('cause the Greyhound's what them poor folk travel on and thems fun to detain at Customs...), and we'll have less chance of being hassled. Now, don't get up my nose for making that poor folk comment. It's true. The Customs officials seem to get a lot of pleasure out of hassling and harrassing the people who can't afford to travel any other way. Anyway, with his parents in the car and us in the back seat, we'll look less like Suitable Targets(tm).

EDIT: Continued at 9:50pm, same day

So, what, other than homework, am I doing now? Well, other than the handout for tomorrow's "Learning Cafe" (no, really) and work on the school groups programme, I'm trying to sort out my confirmations and make sure that I have a copy of each one with me for the trip. I also need to remember a whole list of things that I drew up today after class. I have a lot of stuff to take. More clothing than what I'd normally take for what is, essentially, a long weekend, but then again, I don't normally need so much dress clothing. It's not like I usually attend film premieres. There's so much to do -- AHHH !

I aim to be at Rick's around 7pm or so in order to catch the GO service to Burlington where his mother can pick us up. This means I'll probably have to duck out of class early, in order to get the last few things done. I have to write some emails and tie up some loose ends, and then finish this damn homework. There's so much to do and so little time.

In other news, for those of you who miss my write-ups about the cats, let me offer one now. Spring is here and the cats are out. It started with Willi, who is, by far, the most adventurous of the lot, though not prone to feral flashbacks like Chester is. She was going out, rain or shine, most of a month ago. She happily spends the entire day frolicking outside and tormenting the birds (of which there are many), forgoing meals and quality time in front of the television. When she does come in, it's usually for brief spurts just to make sure everyone and everything is where they're supposed to be. Then she's off again. After supper, she comes back and pretty much crashes. Right now, she's completely zonked behind me on my bed.

Chester, on the other hand, goes out for limited periods of time, long enough to eat something he shouldn't (today it was parsley), and vomit it up all over the house. Normally, because he hisses before puking, we can catch him and put a newspaper under his face. Today, however, he did his worst before I could catch him and effectively sprayed stomach fluids all over the stove and down its front. Tedious, creature. I had to break out the VIM to clean it up. And then there's Melody, who mostly goes outside in order to sit on us, or the windowsill (looking in, naturally), always in the sun. Hers is a very pleasant dotage, as my mother calls it. Indeed, it must be nice to be an 18 year old cat in our household. Lucky, deaf girl that she is.