Saturday, February 19, 2005

First of all, I would like to wish someone, who shall remain anonymous, a very happy 30th anniversary ! You know who you are ! Congratulations on this special day, and may you see another thirty years, one day at a time. *love*

Last night, I got to see something people haven't really had a chance to see in Peterborough, at least not in the last fifty years, or something. I went to the Opera ! Yes, the Petes now boasts Lyric Stage, a brand new opera company spearheaded by Canadian singer, Eleanor James, and a merry band of the musically inclined. For their first performance, they played Cupid and Death an early Baroque opera that contains all the necessary elements to make theatre-goers blush, and has probably been doing so for three hundred years. The synopsis has Cupid and Death spending a night at an inn where a vindictive servant (spurned in love and afraid to die) switches their arrows (or, in this version, guns). What ensues is chaos as young lovers are struck dead in the midst of wooing and the ailing tear off their bandages and fall hopelessly in love. There's hetro-, bi-, homo-, transexual love and there's even a dose of bestiality. It is quite the romp ! The aging couple sitting beside me became quite uncomfortable as the "Old Men Dancing" troupe all began fondling each other. Most everyone else, mind you, laughed so hard that tears streamed down their faces.

I have to say, I haven't laughed so hard in a while. I was supposed to leave at the intermission to catch my bus into Toronto, but I was feeling pretty unsteady (thanks to a certain monthly visitor) and had the feeling that I really should see the second half of the performance. I called Rick and rearranged my plans. I don't think he was thrilled, but he still gets to see me later, so he'll live. The opera was fairly well acted and generally well sung, with the exception of a couple soloists who probably only got the parts because of family connexions, and the leads were quite good. It was a success, by my account, and a great first showing for this new little company. I look forward to their future shows.

More news to come.