Monday, October 25, 2004

What a great weekend.

Friday: Took the evening bus into Toronto. I hopped onto the Queen Streetcar and headed East to Rick's house. When I arrived, Spaceballs was just starting on his TV and Indian curry was imminent. Curry and cult-flicks go very well together. I don't think I've ever had delivery Indian food, either, so that was a fun change. I played Fable for an hour and then headed for bed. Rick joined me and together we conked out in under five minutes. Fridays nights are pretty boring for us. *laugh* Unfortunately, Rick's clicking and tooth-grinding woke me up repeatedly and even shoving him didn't work. I considered moving to the couch, but that's not so bright an idea when the alarm clocks are in his room and I have to get up for work.

Saturday: I worked at the ROM, of course, and had the coveted position of being principle Breaks-person. Hurray ! I like this position because you get to move around, you have a little responsibility, and generally, it speeds up the day. As it turned out, things have picked up a bit on the weekends now and most of the cashes were busy throughout the day. I went for lunch with Cheryl, something we don't get to do much of anymore, and because it was so bloody gorgeous out, we ate our crepes while sitting on a bench in Philosophers' Walk behind the museum. There was a little girl who was vigourously feeding the pigeons and a very ballsy sparrow (he even landed on Cheryl's shoe). She had no concept of invading our space in order to give muffin crumbs to the birds and we enjoyed her presence. She was a refreshing change from the stuffiness of the Rotunda.

After work, I zipped back to Rick's where I took a wee nap, had some greasy wonton soup and then dressed for Alana's birthday party. She lives in the same warehouse studio complex that Nicole lives at, in my old neighbourhood. I so enjoy that complex. I'd love to get a space in it. Her party involved a lot of alcoholic options and some very delicious dips. Good conversation was had and Rick ended up being quite social. I met her cats, Po and Twig (aka. Mr. Plumpers), and generally had a nice time. Rick and I left around quarter past eleven and came to the realisation that we're old now. I can't remember the last time I left a party before midnight. Man.

Sunday: We had the plan to visit a local school's haunted house and despite the weather being typical of mid-autumn - cool and drizzly - we headed out. This after a somewhat tasty breakfast at Rick's local greasy spoon. It's the kind of diner that has been around for ever. The tables and chairs are probably thirty years old, the chairs at any rate, and everyone knows everyone. It's the kind of place where a young middle-class family is enjoying brunch at one table while the mother breast-feeds, a working-class couple discuss the stupidity of the pit-bull ban at the table beside us, students fill another table, and an older married couple sit together by the window, each reading their own sections of the paper and not talking. Anyway, back to the haunted house.

Pape Avenue PS runs a hanted house for Hallowe'en where they have activities, food, raffles draws, and whatnot, and of course, the haunted house. For four bucks, we figured we'd go check it out and see what it was like. It was definitely worth four bucks. It was really well done, right down to a freaky hag eating rubber snakes, freaky low ceilings in pitch blackness, a creepy mime, and lots of great sets. It was peopled with students from the school, faculty (I think) and other parental types, and we left it with big smiles on our faces. I got some good jumps when things startled me, and I especially liked the girl portraying the mime - she was five feet nothing in height and followed Rick all over.

When we got home, I got to play a lot more of Fable, which is perfectly alright by me, because it seems Greyhound has stopped running the late afternoon/evening buses to Peterborough. I had a lot of time to kill before the midnight bus. It was really nice to do nothing all day, let me tell you. A welcome reward before I have to start working again, today.