Sunday, September 19, 2004

I have decided that there are some things I want to do before I'm thirty. I want to finish my programme at Fleming and get a decent job doing something challenging in a museum - NOT work a register. I want to go back to Europe, specifically to the UK, Holland, and visit Italy. Also, I want to be beginning (if not already enrolled)in a post-graduate degree when I'm thirty. This seems do-able. Three years isn't so long that you can lose sight of the short-term, but it's also not so short as to be impossible. Anyway, first things first. Tomorrow, I begin my real schedule of classes.

Riding the Queen/King St. streetcar (the 510) to work on Sunday mornings from Rick's house is really nice. It's quiet, usually with fewer than ten people on it (sometimes I'm the only passenger), quick, and pretty. Downtown Toronto is so interesting and at nine o'clock on a Sunday morning, the sidewalks aren't cluttered with people so you can actually look at the gardens and buildings. The St. James church (I don't know what denomination it is, though I want to say it's Anglican) is on that route and when I pass it, it's bells are ringing. There aren't a lot of churches in the city that still have functional bells, or if they do, they don't often get rung, so I really enjoy its chorus. A tiny part of me always wants to disembark and go inside, which is kind of bizarre considering, well, I'm not christian. At any rate, I love the sound.

Tonight, after work, Rick's coming to pick me up at the museum so we can have supper at Red Rose - I think that's where we're going, since we're planning on having curry. I do like that restaurant so much. I haven't tried the Indian in Peterborough, and I understand there are a couple of places, of which at least one is pretty good, but there's just nothing like going to a favourite restaurant where you know exactly what you're going to get and it's going to be delicious. Following dinner, I have to catch the seven-thirty bus back to the Petes. I have to admit, much as I don't enjoy fasting, the day off that Yom Kippur will afford me will be very much appreciated.