Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Democrats Abroad was a really neat experience. Firstly, let me say that these people are a very interesting mix. There were some who had been here for a long time and had held fast to their American roots, their accents remaining intact after years of living in the Toronto area. There were others who had allowed for the "silent take-over", the passive acceptance that Canada would rub off on them. One couple had been here for thirty five years and too look at them you would never guess that they were from south of the border. They dressed in muted colours, in low-key styles - very North Toronto/Lawrence Park. They had even been granted dual citizenship, but there remained that little part of them that wasn't ready to relinquish their roots, thus they continued to vote in US elections with no intention of ever moving back. There were people who had arrived for work in Canada, people who's families had moved (like me), people who had dodged the draft... it was, like I said, an interesting group of people and generally, well spoken and intellectual. Neat. It was a fun time and I'll certainly go back in June.

Also, my application for an absentee ballot has been filled out, stamped and is sitting beneath the Rentwraith in the hall. I had meant to mail it yesterday, and then today, but oversleeping both days can really put a cramp in ones intentions - especially when one is scrambling out of bed at the approximate time one should be booting up and heading out the door. *ahem* It was so bad today that I had to waste money on a taxi.

In order that I will wake up tomorrow nice and refreshed (and on time), I did not go home after work for a nap. I knew that no matter what else I did, I would end up napping and that would keep me up much too late into the night. No good. So, having walked down Philosphers' Walk behind the ROM and through UofT to Spadina, with no further plan in my head, I hopped on the streetcar and rode down to Queen Street. At this point, I turned east and climbed the stairs up to my friend Nicole's store. Here, I was offered a chair and conversation, and no place to nod off, was taken on a mini-adventure running errands with Nicole, came back, chatted more, and then went for nachos. And, in scant moments, I will make my way home.