Thursday, February 26, 2004

I've been suffering from a tummy flu these past two days. It seems to be mostly cleared up now, but my abdominal muscles are really tight. After spending most of yesterday in a horizontal/fetal position, I managed to get over to Nicole's to help her paint. In that I couldn't straighten up completely, thanks to the muscle pain, I did the baseboard edging while she did the rollering and mostly it was alright. She also made sure to pack me full of cheese and crackers in order to stopper me. *laugh* Her place is really nice. She's got a large, airy, bright loft in the same complex she's already been living in (the one I eventually want to move into...). She's paying a ridiculously small amount of rent considering the size of the place. Honestly, she has as much living space as Stew and I and she's paying over two hundred dollars less than us. Inclusive. Wow.

Okay, so you're probably wondering, did I get the job? YES, I got the job ! The one I wanted, even, not the short-term contract. I heard the news on Tuesday and I bounced around the office. I think Richard's a bit disappointed that I'll be leaving Membership, especially right before a big exhibition and March Break, but how can he argue with higher pay and longer shifts? I'm a little sorry to leave Membership, but I've been with the department since November 1998, which is a really long time to hold a job with little room to move. Anyway, I'll be writing my official letters of resignation tonight and bringing them a bouquet of flowers next week.

Anyway, there is no doubt now that I've moved beyond where I was. These are, I believe, very positive changes. While the move to Visitor Services is something of a lateral move within the museum, it puts me in a new place, changes my routine and offers me a fresh perspective. Even moreso, the contract in Education adds a level of excitement and brings a new challenge for me to overcome. I'm working under the impression that I will be back at school in the fall, another positive change, and my mother is starting to call this the "Year of Maya". I hope she's right. If anything, my recent experiences with a certain someone and my betrayal at his hands has changed my view, has thrown me into action. I am taking control of my life and have taken a new fork in the path. I don't know where it's going to lead me, only that it will offer scenery I've never seen before, and possibly a very cool destination. I've got a map to help me along the way, but parts have been left uncharted and I'll be filling them in as I go.

Good thing I like Orienteering.