Thursday, January 29, 2004

Time passes - sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly - and inevitably, when you least expect it, it will pass in the manner most irritating to you. Today, it was in the form of the bus. Yes, the Dufferin bus. My nemesis. Yesterday, it was snowing and the traffic was terrible, but I somehow made it to work in under twenty minutes from my arrival at the bus stop to the ROM staff entrance. Today, beautiful and sunny as it is, the roads cleared of snow, traffic moving swiftly, I waited for half an hour. At this point, with no bus in view, I put my hand in the air and hailed a cab. A cab that would cost me most of my first hour's wage. Bloody hell.

I actually began my day after too little sleep, again, and at just past nine in the morning I phoned a certain so-and-so who owes me money. I wanted to make sure that he had received my letter. Unfortunately, either no one was in the office, or they were at meetings, or (and why do I get the feeling this is the likeliest possibility?) they saw my number on call display and sat there saying, "I don't want to get it, you get it..." Anyway, I left a message that will undoubtedly, like all the others, go unanswered.

There are several positions that have opened up in the Visitors Services Dept., both permenant full- and part-time. After all this time, I have finally been convinced that I should apply. My French skills are probably a little below where they ought to be, but not truly terrible, so with some upgrading, or even more practice, things should improve. It's would be very helpful to my finances and a great way to end up before going back to school in the fall. Full time work is my choice, five days a week - it would be with people I know and like - only until the end of the end of the Egyptian exhibit. It would be perfect. And what of the interview I had last week? I don't expect to hear anything about that until tomorrow or Monday, but I just don't think it would give me enough hours. If things remain as they are currently, I'll make more money working the two jobs in Membership than I would working the one plus the education job. While it would be a fun position to have and I think I'd do it well, I'm just not in a place where I have a lot of choice open to me.

Finally, if you ever have to discuss your Bell Telephone account with a customer service representative and the person on the other end identifies themself as "Mrs. Phillips" ask for a different rep. You see, as far as Mrs. Phillips is concerned, you can't just pay some of a bill outstanding, you have to pay all of it. So, since she refused to actually look after me, the customer, instead reminding me that the phone would get cut tomorrow if I didn't pay the entire amount, she told me I had no choice. Hello? I've done this before. There is always choice. That's part of customer service. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she said, "I am Mrs. Phillips. I am a supervisor."

So, I said, "Fine. Presumably, you have a supervisor, too."

"I am a supervisor."

"Perhaps you didn't understand me, I would like to speak to -your- supervisor."

"I am telling you how to procede."

"Look, I don't want to talk to you. Please put me through."

"It's a call-back." Her voice is becoming increasingly acid as we talk.

"Fine have your supervisor call me back. I'm sure I or my roommate will be happy to hear from them."

"What number should they phone?"

"At home."

"Your main line? You aren't calling from there now."

"This is true. I am using a colleague's extension at work because I do not have my own. Call me at home."

"You won't be there."

"It will be fine. This has to be sorted out and you are unwilling to do so."

"Fine. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Sarcasm, now.

"No, you are one of the most rude and least helpful customer service rep I have spoken to."

"I'm sorry, but I'm not rude."

At this point I lost all remaining patience and said, "Whatever you say, Mrs. Phillips, I hope this call was being monitored." Then I hung up.

So, while it's true I won't be home to receive the call, there is not only voicemail where the supervisor can leave his/her name and extension, but there is also Stew, with whom they can leave the same information. It's NOT that hard to be nice and to -try- to be helpful. It really isn't. I know, because I do customer service every day I'm at the ROM. The minute someone wants to escalate to the next level up, I say, "I'm sorry you don't feel I can be of help, but this is how you can reach my supervisor." The end. Out of my hands. Don't argue, honestly.

It seems I am doomed to have 'one of those days'.