Thursday, January 15, 2004

If there was any doubt about it, which there isn't, let me assure you that winter is here. And, in the greatest tradition of seasoned bus riders in history, the weather fouled up any plans I might liked to have kept. What should have taken an hour and forty-five minutes, or so, ended up taking nearly four hours thanks to heavy snow and getting lost in Scarborough. I had a terrific bus buddy named Veronica who woke up as we were inching along Ellesmere and I explained that the bus had been unable to get back on the highway after dropping at Scarborough Town Centre. At one point the bus made a u-turn behind a factory in order to simply start moving again. I'm glad I had the foresight to have Rick meet me at the bus terminal rather than at the movie theatre as we'd initially planned, otherwise he'd have been holding two tickets and I would never have made the film. In the end, we crossed the street and enjoyed dinner at Red Lobster. It wasn't what we planned, but it did the job.

Despite having the flu while at Mom's I did make it to see The Heart of Me on Sunday. It is a British film about two sisters and how their lives entwine with that of a man (who is married to one and having an affair with the other). It takes place pre-war mid-1930s and also ten years later. Mom and I couldn't understand why the two women were brought to turmoil by the man as he was particularly bland and lacking in passion. It was a beautiful movie to look at, though, with gorgeous Art Deco clothing and room settings, etc., but overall, even the excellent acting couldn't make it a movie I'd actually recommend seeing.

We also watched, over a period of two nights, Human Cargo, the CBC-Showcase co-production that we'd taped the week before. It was an excellent mini-series of the sort you just don't normally see come out of North America. It was graphic and honest and completely riveting as the audience is introduced the desperation of the immigration and refugee situation in Canada and to what lengths people will go just to have a chance at freedom in Canada. It was very well written and extremely well acted, especially on the part of the women who were really fabulous, multi-layered characters. Kate Nelligan gave the best performance I think I've ever seen her give. This is not a show we mean to tape over, it is simply too good. I think I'll loan it to Rick, who only caught the last two episodes.

Nothing much else to report except that I'm awfully hungry so I'll go and get a snack from the cafeteria.