Saturday, October 25, 2003

Before I run off and vanish into the Camp office for many hours, I thought I would provide a wee update. Of course, yesterday I attended the funeral of Ceceil's son, Tristan. It was way out in Scarborough which meant nearly an hour in my car braving mid-morning traffic. It was held in a large Anglican church because their home church, which is a more fundamentalist gospel church simply wasn't big enough. There were probably a few hundred people in attendance and I think about a third of these were students from Tristan's highschool who were released in order to attend. I didn't know Tristan even a little, never having met him, but I do know Ceceil fairly well and I like and respect her. I think she was very touched that I came out for this. She might have a Hell of a time getting me out to OPSEU meetings, but when it really counts, I am there.

The service was presided (is that the right word?) over by Father Scott, the Anglican minister and he invited three of the so-and-sos of the gospel church to join him. Father Scott was lovely, very articulate, very sensitive; two of the men from the other church were also well spoken and generous in their speaking, but the third, "Preacher" Dan, really creeped me out. When he referred to the Christians of the gospel church, there was no question that he meant that they were the only 'real' Christians. Father Scott's jaw visibly tightened at that and also when Dan said, not mincing his words, that the only way to salvation was through Jesus' love as taught through his church's sermons. His not-very-well disguised final message was that everyone else was pretty much going to burn for eternity without seeing the light. Holy shit. This is a funeral, NOT one of his sermons, and lots of people there were devout in their own ways, and did not need to be told they were doomed. They were there to offer support and to show their love for the deceased. And above all, what made this guy think it was okay to slam other Christian sects while the whole funeral was being hosted very generously by an Anglican parish?

Other than Dan and the nastiness that ruined all the nice things he had previously said about Tristan, the funeral was really nice. It was the longest funeral I have ever attended (no mass was observed, either). Many of Tristan's family and friends spoke, including some classmates that read poetry they'd written, two who sang a gospel duet, and most amazingly, one classmate who played the steel-pan drum. You have not experienced anything until you witness a sixteen-year-old girl, dressed in black, tears running down her cheeks, playing out the congregation with Amazing Grace on a single steel-pan drum. There wasn't a dry eye in the church. It was awesome.

Anyway, I was only aware of one other ROM staffer at the funeral, Julian Kingston, head of Education (Ceceil's department), which was sort of shocking, but I hope many others attended the viewings held the previous two days. I hope. From there I went to the museum to work.

And now for something completely different, or at least not recently seen: neat quizzes that have nothing to do with my sexuality (whoa...).

You are the High Renaissance and absolutely
bursting with ideas. Sometimes, your
versatility is overwhelming and you have to be
careful to do justice to all of your talents.
You love the artistic world, culture and
classical civilization.


****** What Time Period are You? ******
brought to you by Quizilla


Samuel Clements, otherwise known as Mark Twain, is
your kind of writer. Like you, he has a deep
connection to his past and a lively sense of
humor.



Who is your Literary Soulmate?
brought to you by Quizilla


And, since we all know that I come up with Earth and dragons a lot in tests, etc., have a vulnerability to coffee, and I have been known to be utterly intimidating, this is just... weird.
Become a God or Goddess. by zerogirl
Name:
God/Goddess ofFear
Element:Earth
Animal Companion:Dragon
Weak againstCoffee
Weapon:Dagger
Created with quill18's MemeGen!