Sunday, July 20, 2003

Wow, I hadn't meant to publish that tiny bit of text. I got distracted at the ROM and pressed the wrong button. Anyway, I have a lot more to say, now, than I was going to say initially. For instance, at the ROM, yesterday, we launched our second scavenger hunt. The first one, about Egypt, was done by both myself and Joane, but yesterday's was written entirely by me. It was the dinosaur quest. I was a little worried that people wouldn't like it - I know people had a tricky time with the Egyptian one. As it turned out, I needent have worried. People loved the scavenger hunt ! Children and parents came to the desk with their completed questions and went on at length about how much they'd enjoyed it and how fun it was going through the galleries like that. I was so pleased ! Further evidence that I'd make a good teacher? Probably.

Rick came to the museum when I was finished work and from there we went up to A&C's to pick up my sunglasses. I think Rick was disappointed that we didn't quite end up doing anything like what we'd planned to do which included patio sitting and sipping beer. We ended up staying at A&C's for dinner and watching the very silly, Temple of Doom. I don't think I've ever seen it in its entirety. It was fun. It was when we were on our way to go have an evening drink at The Abbey that the day turned decidedly sad.

We were heading along Harbord, almost at Ossington, when the car in front of me ran over a cat. I saw it clearly, too clearly, really, and I was stunned that the driver didn't stop. He'd been going slow enough to stop for the cat, but when he rolled over it and kept going, I freaked. I pulled to a stop, screaming at the car, and ran out to check on the animal. It was in spasms and was trying to get up, but when I got to it the spasms had stopped. I knew the cat was going to die. People ran out into the street, a couple of them coming to make sure the animal wasn't theirs, as I petted the animal. For a moment, it purred in my hands, then it died. I've never had anything die in my hands before. It was so alien. First there was a cat, and then there was nothing. I wept, and wept.

In the meantime, Rick and this lovely Asian man on a bicycle worked the phones trying to get in touch with the SPCA or emergency animal services while more people came to see if they could help. I lifted the cat out of the street. Sadly, she - I think it was a she - was wearing a collar, but the name tag had fallen out of the rubber back. I checked the street in the hope that it was there, but there was nothing. This lovely tabby, well fed and clean, belonged to someone and we couldn't even call them to tell them what happened. There was a wonderful woman who pulled up in a green Volvo (I like Volvo drivers, I've only had good experiences with them) who was very helpful. It was her and the man on the bicycle that were the most help. Eventually, I found some plastic in my car - the woman had offered a blanket that I had refused - and folded it up. I laid the cat on it in a visual place in case either Animal Services or its owners came looking. Hopefully, the animal is microchipped and its owners won't be left wondering what happened to their kitty. Maybe the word will spread and they'll learn that their cat died in someone's arms and that people tried to help.

When I got home, all thoughts of going to The Abbey gone from my mind, the first thing I did was pick of Willi and hug her hard and kiss her. When I set her down, I did the same with Tobe, then I poured myself a stiff drink. This was the second time I'd seen a cat killed on the street. Images of the event went through my head in the shower and in bed and for the first time in years, I cried myself to sleep.

Today, I'm going to Mount Sinai Hospital to visit Julie, because yesterday she fell down and they think she broke her leg. The leg affected by the stroke. Unfair. She was doing so well with her walking, too. God willing, Julie will recover quickly. Tomorrow, I'm going to my cottage; fuck work. I'm only going for about five days this time, but I know I'll be back there in August. I've promised to bring back blueberries if there are lots.