Friday, March 21, 2003

People have very skewed ideas of what is scary and what is not. Listening to the radio, which is covering, almost non-stop, the humiliation of Iraq, we got to hear the sound of explosions and fire power. Michael Enright, the broadcaster, said that it sounded 'fearsome', which it did (hello, the sounds of bombs dropping don't inspire images of flower-filled fields), and was immediately told by one of the military interviewees, "I would say the complete opposite..." He went on to explain how this was the sound of a limited strike, etc., etc., but give us a break ! If you're in a city that is being blasted, you'd be terrified. The end.

Shit head.

It's a very awkward place to be, my head. We discussed it at the folding party last night, too. How can we honestly want allied soldiers to die? Yet, part of my hopes that it comes down to street-to-street fighting so that they can feel the devestation that they have wrought upon Iraq? I don't like to think about it because I'm not supposed to wish anyone dead... The USA and Britain pushed for this, despite Iraqi co-operation, despite international out-cry. This is a theatre-war and more than anything, that is what makes me mad.

Here is my dilemma, outlined perfectly by Wil Wheaton in this entry on his site. I suggest that you read it in its entirety, as it says a lot. I don't want to keep on about this, or I'm going to end up in a rant. I have to get back to preparing for Ad-Astra, anyway.