Monday, January 20, 2003

Wow, there's nothing quite like a beautiful winter day. The sky is that shade of blue that can't possibly be real, except that you're looking up and there it is - blue like a technicolor dream. The sun is shining and it's that warm sun because January brings the earth closest to that great ball of flame in the heavens, but it's not warm enough to shield you from the wind. It's a teasing sun. There's snow on the ground and it's bright, luminous in the sunlight and a blue that matches the sky in pockets of shadow. The snow crunches underfoot because it's so cold outside, there's no slush, no muck, just beautiful frozen expanses. Today, Toronto is beautiful.

I feel good today, and not just because it's so great a day. Yesterday, I went to the YMCA (everyone, together now, do the dance !) with Erin, my friend from the ROM. She dragged me around and showed me how to use the machines and whatnot, and I had a blast. After stretching, I we did the stairclimber for about 15 minutes and then walked it out for a while on the track. Then we did about half an hour on various weight machines before finishing up with some abdominal work and more stretching. It was amazing. I figure that we worked out for a bit over an hour, and considering how poor my condition is, that's pretty darn good. We went for a very healthy dinner at a little Japanese Bento place and then we drove home. Needless to say, I'm quite sore today, especially through my upper body. I'm going again tonight !