Thursday, October 31, 2002

Punch Drunk Love. Everyone who has seen it that I have spoken to says it is incredible. But, come on, Adam Sandler in a serious role? No poo-poo humour? Whatever. And yet, I was intrigued. I am, afterall, a fan of Adam Sandler and his poo-poo humour. I have enjoyed him for years. And I wanted to see Punch Drunk Love. Last night, Rick and I saw it. And it was... incredible. Sandler was marvelous as Barry Egan and yes, though it was a role written especially for him, he really does act. It's funny. It's very funny, but it's surprisingly warm and heartfelt, and from the very opening scene, the movie holds it's viewers enraptured.

It is a movie about what can happen when a man brings an harmonium into his life.

Continuing the filmic theme of this entry, this morning was the ROM staff preview of the new Lord of the Rings exhibit at the planetarium. Though it was being held at an ungodly time, 8:30am to 9:30am, huge numbers of staffers came in, like me, early, just to see this exhibit. I saw the one at Casa Loma last year and this one is better. It's not as long, mostly because at Casa Loma, the exhibit stretched from one part of the castle to the other, in the attic, through the underground tunnel... I liked the atmosphere at Casa Loma better, but frankly, this exhibit was amazing. It's designed by the actual set designers from the films. It's pretty good. And the Deadmarsh is... spooky. I'm definitely going to go back. There was a lot I didn't get to see.

Oh, and I went dressed up. Yep. Was there any question? It's Hallowe'en, after all, and I'm not one to miss an opportunity like that. I'm wearing my black puffy-sleeved shirt, one of my black vests (the one with the coin trimming), my bondage pants, and the 'Sith' robe that Nicole gave me for my birthday. I got a great reaction from some corporate types waiting for the elevator when I stepped out. And inside the exhibit, someone said, "Oh, I think she's from the wrong side of the Shire." Hee hee !

Have a safe and happy Samhain and Hallowe'en.