Monday, September 09, 2002

So, today, I got this email:

On Monday Jean Cretien and George Bush are meeting in
Detroit to discuss Bush`s plans on war on Iraq. It is clear
that despite global opposition to a war on Iraq, Bush plans
to attack Iraq anny day now.

ON THE EVENING OF THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 5TH OVER
100 FIGHTERS FROM THE US AND UK BOMBED IRAQ IN
THE LARGEST BOMBING MISSION SINCE 1998.

Join the Toronto Committe Against Sanctions and War on
Iraq for thie emergency rally and picket.

BRING YOUUR OWN SIGNS AND BANNERS THAT WE
CAN HOLD ALONG THE SIDEWALK OF YONGE STREET.

Liberal Party HQ in Toronto
MONDAY SEPTEMBER 9, 5 PM
CORNER OF YONGE ST. AND ST.MARY`S
(2 blocks south of Bloor)


And I can't help but wonder if that bombing stuff was true, and I figured, sure, it probably is considering how biased the news media has been of late. I wouldn't doubt that such news would be omitted or lessened, of course, maybe it was all over the news and somehow I missed it. I haven't exactly been breaking down doors to listen/watch these days. And as I'm reading, I think, ya, I'll go protest, screw work today - this is important. Then I see that the protest is at 5pm. FIVE? FIVE??!! Come on, folks, give me a bloody break. What kind of a message is that? "Oh, when I'm done work - something far more important than the world's issues - I thought I'd go wave my little flag at a protest. Of course, I might be too tired and I'll just go home..." Yeesh. 5pm. Bush and Chretien are meeting right now, not sometime later. Any effect this could have had is made pointless by being held long after their meeting is completed.

Hopefully, if Chretien wants a real legacy for himself, he'll screw the war and ratify Kyoto. Not that either will matter one iota to Babybush and his insane cronies and lapdogs (um, hello, Tony Blair? You're LABOUR, why are you being an ass-kisser?) I have no faith in people anymore, certainly very little in governance, and frankly, if I have to see one more piece of 9-11 memorial INDUSTRY bullshit, I'll be sick. Somewhere along the way, they got so caught up in their patriotic flag-waving and revenge that they forgot that many hundreds died.

Okay, rant over. You can all go home.