Tuesday, September 24, 2002

After yet another lapse in entries, I am back for more. Or maybe you're back for more. Anyway, I'm back, and you're reading this, so huzzah !

I had a great weekend out in the Petes. Great except for the on-going not-feeling-so-good stuff. Friday after work, I picked up Rick from IBM and we drove to Julie's house where she and Jerzy were celebrating their most magnificent 50th wedding anniversary. Yay ! David and Jeannie were back from where ever in the world they were coming from (flying from Germany, visted Holland, working somewhere in Africa - it's all so confusing) and they, along with Tania, Karyn, and Diane (I think) made a fantastic dinner. Lamb, rice, that Greek phylo pastry dish with spinach and feta in it (spano-something) and other good things. Much frivolity occured and presents were passed about. Not just to the couple, no indeed, but also from Mom and I to David (we'd missed his birthday while he was away) and from Julie & Jerzy, Tania and David to me for my birthday.

We gave Julie and Jerzy a set of delightful wine glasses, each decorated with tiny balls made of gold glass. They were put to good service that night, when Jerzy broke out the champagne. The most amazing thing I got was David's old set of lead miniatures. We're talking about some of the original D&D/LotR miniatures ever produced. Some of them predate me ! A few of them have corroded, though, which is sad. I will attempt to preserve what I can with glaze and sealer.

The humidity was gross that night and their house doesn't have air-conditioning, which made the evening just shy of utterly unbearable. Mom looked like she was going to melt into her chair, and I kept sticking to every surface I touched. We left a bit past 10pm and dropped Rick at the subway before heading to my place to get my laundry, stereo (for fixing) and Willi. Then we hit the road for the Petes. We ended up staying up late that night, doing I'm not sure what, but it was fun, and it was nice to be in a centrally air-conditioned house. Oh the joy !

Saturday, I didn't do much of anything, but some errands with Mom. Ray came over for dinner and we watched two movies. We had rented Iris, about Iris Murdock and her decline into alzheimers. Dame Judi Dench was fantastic as was Kate Winslet (Iris, and young Iris) and the two men playing John Bayley (Jim Broadbent and Hugh Bonneville as young John) were terrific and very sensitive to their roles. It was an amazing and powerful film, and not remotely maudlin. It pulled no punches, instead showing great honesty and emotion. I don't recommend this as a good film if you want comedy. This film is touching and quite sad. Beautiful, though. Truly. After a break for some pie and enough time to decompress after the first film, we put in my brand new Monsters Inc. tape. Whee ! Mom hadn't seen it before and LOVED it. Ray, I'm not sure whether he liked it or not. Yay for fur effects !

Sunday I went to Lindsay (but first to Bridgenorth, which was unintentional and very much in the wrong direction) to meet up with Carrie, her sister Sherrie and her mom (whose name I forget) to attend a bridal show. It was... Well, there were some very tasty refreshments. And the older woman modeling the mother-of-the-bride ensembles was very good... It was odd. I think I frightened Sherrie with my snide comments, but Carrie's mother seemed to find me quite funny. It was fun. We went back to their house and Carrie modeled her dress for us, and it looks a whole lot better in person than in the photos she took. Back home that night, Mom and I watched the wonderful and charming, Cinema Paradiso. Wow, three awesome flicks in one weekend.

Yesterday was not so fun. I felt like hell and following my doctor's visit, the medication she gave me made me feel even more hellish. I didn't come back until this morning and currently, here at work, I still feel like crap. Yay. I'm going to try to get some work done on Al and Carrie's wedding invites this evening. Try being the operative word. I'm all shaky and I feel like my stomach's eating me from the inside out.