Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Well, I have rather a lot to say, but less time in which to say it than I would desire.

This weekend was the Realms of Despair 8th annual reunion. As always, it was great fun. I don't know what I should say. Gosh. So much happened.

Friday was the first official night, being held, as usual at the Fox and Fiddle in stunning Mississauga. Okay, that was sarcasm, for those who don't know. Mississauga is far from stunning. The usual faces were there, plus some new ones and the lovely pleasure of having both Lindsay and Deanna there as well (two of my favourite roleplayers from the game). Rick got quite looped before we headed to the airport to pick up Ben. We returned to the Fox for more merriment and did not leave until after last call. Ben seemed more than happy to sleep on my less than comfortable futon couch and Willi was more than happy to keep him company there.

Saturday was the Renn Fest and we arrived a bit late, but that was okay. We threw our friend, Kelly's, stuff into my car and all piled into the fair. Naturally, the Mud Show (the theatre in the ground) was a hit and we watched both of their shows, Beowulf and Dante's Inferno. Two plays that only barely resemble the works they portray. We separated and came back together through out the fair, now pairing up with Lindsay and Deanna, now breaking apart again. We ate tasty things (the broccoli and cheese soup in a bread-bowl was a highlight as well as their delicious smoothies), and laughed a lot and got a lot of sun. I caught one and a half jousts, the final one fully, which was quite dramatic though there was no unhorsing.

That night there was a slave auction in order to benefit Moonbeam (an immortal character on RoD) who will be running for the cure (breast cancer charity). Kelly and myself were auctioned as a pair and Rick spent 80$ on us. Here's the best part - we're considered a charitable donation and therefore are tax deductable. Neat, ya. I did a fantastic rendition of Grease Lightning with this guy named Chuck, the two of us acting out the entire song while twisting up a storm. There was much positive (and slightly less so) male attention and generally, everyone was in good spirits.

Sunday was the picnic at the Kelso Conservation Area. There was a quest that had a test of speed and constitution (which Rick placed second in - Go Rick !) which was a race down and up the bunny hill behind the picnic area. Two people wiped out on the uphill run, one of whom would otherwise have won. Too bad Rick didn't get anything for coming second. There was a RoD trivia challenge and I, knowing NOTHING of the game, despite playing it for three years, won a consolation prize (of nothing, I'll have you know) for the best humourous bullshit answer. There was also a scavenger hunt for which everyone who made it up the BIG FUCKING hill at the start got five in-game glory. Rick, Ben and I wandered through the woods for at least two hours giving our bodies quite the work-out. Today I feel more than a little stiff. *laugh*

In fact, I was so beat after the scavenger hunt that when I returned to the picnic, I just kept going and headed straight for the lake. Lindsay, Deanna, Kelly, and a bunch of other people were already down there and shortly after we were joined by Chuck. Feeling so much better, I went back up to get myself some dinner. There was, among other vegetable items, steak, lamb, turkey, rabbit and quail. YUM. Let me repeat that: YUM !!! Following dinner, there was a tug-o'-war which was also a lot of fun. And then, sadly, the day came to an end and neither Rick nor I would be returning to the Fox.

Rick was a good guy and came with me to my house and helped me pack the car with stuff for the cottage, and he lay down for a nap with me where we were neither properly rested, nor comfortable since we were both still racing from the exersion of the day. Then we were both crabby when we got up. I hate the post-nap crabbiness. Bleh. I packed Willi into her box and we set off. I dropped Rick at his place and then continued to Peterborough.

Tomorrow, Mom and I will be leaving for the cottage. We're being not terribly environmentally good, though, each taking her own car, but since I'm probably going to have to leave before her and head directly to Toronto, it just seems best. Rick will be joining us up there on the 16th and we'll leave together on the 20th. I wish I could be staying longer, since I feel I desperately need this holiday, but since I'll be working SFX the weekend of the 23rd to the 25th (my birthday, coincidentally), I have to get back in time to continue my love-hate relationship with Kinkos as I have art reproductions printed.

Anyway, now it's much later than I meant it to be and there's still laundry sitting in the machine. *sigh* I wish you all a good most-of-August. Enjoy it.