Thursday, May 16, 2002

Yesterday sucked. Not because it was a crappy day, because it was gorgeous out, or because it was slow in the store, because it wasn't, but because my mood is still in the tubes. I won't go into the details, because I've told myself that there are other things to concentrate on in the meantime (like Star Wars, which opened today !).

A very interesting man, named Gordon, came into Heretic yesterday. He'd been in Japan for the last ten years acting as an English teacher. He had wonderful stories, and interesting ideas on how to go about getting jobs, and which jobs were the best to get. For instance, the Nova school, or whatever, will hire any old schmuck, like me, with no experience at all, so long as the applicant speaks English. He told me it was better to get a certification in teaching ESL in order to get one of the more serious teaching jobs there. Pretty neat. He also said that Tokyo is a souless void and to keep away at all costs. It's perhaps not surprising since they flattened Edo, the original city on the spot, in order to build up. He was most happy working in the places that I'm most interesting in visiting, Kyoto, Kobe, and Osaka. Anyway, should I be interested in teaching English in Japan, he gave me a couple websites with information and jobs.

I tried to score a ticket for Eric M. to join us at Star Wars tonight, but when I ran to the Paramount on my break, the tickets for the 10:30pm showing had sold out on Tuesday. Too bad, and a bit of a disappointment for Eric, but now that we're back in touch, we'll hopefully stay that way. He's such a good guy. I've missed his presence in my life. Anyway, it turns out, however; that Derek has a ticket for the same show as us, and so he'll be joining us, and that's a good thing, because he's a fun guy. Which is better than being a fungi, as I originally typed. I have to finish tidying up the living room this morning, in order to prepare if for Tanya's visit. I'm quite excited. She'll be joining us for Star Wars tonight. Presently, my biggest concern is which fan fiction shirt to wear. Despite my abhorance to tie-dye, I might have to wear the 'Obi-Wan Night Stand concert tour' shirt, simply for the humour value. Well, it's not my biggest concern, but at this moment, it's one of them.

Hey, last night, I ran into one of my old friends from highschool: Greg Legros ! I haven't seen him since, um, highschool, so something like six years. I was walking along Queen St W, staring into the windows longingly, heading for the Silver Snail too see their window display, when I happened to glance across the street. I saw a figure, walking in the direction I'd come from, who looked an awful lot like Greg. I immediately did an about face and startled some fellow strolling along behind me. Matching this Greg-like figure's stride, I carried on along the south side of the street, staring. My thought process went something like this: That guy looks like Greg. Could it -be- Greg? Is he even in the city? Hm, probably he is, and that guy looks like him. He walks like him. That even looks like Greg's old jacket, but would he still be wearing the old coat? Well, I'm still wearing -my- old leather - It must be him ! At this point, I darted out between parked cars and crossed the street. About ten paces behind him, I called out his name in that I-hope-it-is-you-because-otherwise-I'm-about-to-look-foolish way and lo ! He turned around !

So, I walked with Greg for about 40 minutes, talking about where our lives are at (not surprisingly, him being an actor, me an artist, they're about in the same hole) and doing some catching up. He was stunned to see me, and recognised me immediately. With a resounding and simoultaneous, "HOOOOO-leeee Sheeeet" we hugged each other like we hadn't seen each other, well, since high school. He looks good, and remarkably similar to how he used to, only a little older. He's as funny as ever, only with even a better sence of timing thanks to theatre school. For some reason, every homeless guy on the street thought we were money machines, to the point where it became silly. Anyway, he's apparently in a movie, destined, at least, for Showcase, and invited me to the screening, whenever that is, but I have no lofty ideas about continued contact, though I did give him my phone number. Do we really, ever call the people we run into on the streets? Not usually.

Anyway, I must do something artistic with the empty boxes in the living room and make other things... presentable. Tanya will be arriving around 2pm. I haven't seen her since Christmas, so this will be nice.