Thursday, April 18, 2002

Tonight, Rick and I saw Atanarjuat, the fast runner. It was an absolutely incredible film. Poignant, beautiful, horrible, funny - it's all these things and so much more. And, in case you think that some film about Inuit people sounds dumb (you should be spanked, but nevermind) it has all the makings of a great film: jealousy, deceit, anger, love, lust, nudity, murder, friendship, magic, and ancestors.

Rick and I walked and talked our way to the theatre, which was very nice. It's been a really deep day for me, with lots of emotional discussion and whatnot. Rick and I had another talk about The Future, and all its scariness, and I've come to the conclusion that things will be as they must be. I know it's not a satisfying answer to anything, but it is the only way I can conceive of the things to come, and the possibilities that we will face, together, or alone. The end.

Before meeting up with Rick, I spent the afternoon with Ryan talking about, over lunch at MoMo's on Harbord, Isreal, war, defense, and generally our pessimism over the insanity that this world is spiraling into. Ryan, who comes at the world from a right-of-centre view point, and I, who comes at it from the left-of-centre, don't often agree, but in this we did. Completely. We talked of other things, too, as we walked from up there down to Queen St., and then all along the lake front. It was a long overdue visit.

Anyway, I ran into my exboyfriend, Neil, on the street car. He's still a loser. I win ! How uncharitable of me. Hah.

I'm going to eat some yogurt that Rick just brought me, and try not to scratch my sunburn now. Goodnight.