Tuesday, April 09, 2002

Much more fun was had today, after much sleep. I won't go into details because I think we're going to have a random dungeon crawl with first level characters, but here's the low-down. Last night, after a nice long nap, I accompanied Ali (the official spelling) and Ben to the video store where we rented many things. I watched some Rowan Atkinson comedy with them, and then on Ali's recommendation, Fantasia 2000, which turned out to be excellent and beautiful, if a little hokey.

I shared the bed with Ali, which was a fun time, almost like a sleep-over, and then passed out. It was a wonderful sleep, even if Ali did nearly steamroller me at some point around six in the morning. I got up with her and as the two of them got ready for class, I got ready to meet up with Megan for Philly phun. We made a pilgrimmage for coffee, which was good, and then we headed to the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology. What can I say, it was a fantastic museum. Amazingly good. It had excellent information within every exhibit with language that treated the reader as though they might have a) a mind and, b) something resembling basic intelligence. It reminded me of the older archaeology exhibits of the ROM, which haven't been modernised, happily. Their Egyptian galleries were extensive and fascinating, they had a massive exhibition on the peoples of the Americas. It was completely not patronising and it was very beautiful. Much fun was had.

The one thing that amazed me was that the Arch. Museum had windows that were open, and fans blowing the air around. They don't seem to care how the atmosphere is maintained. It was so very old fashioned that it amazed me. And it was lovely, too. There was an ageless quality to the museum that just made it seem... perfect. It was exactly as it should be.

We walked around South St some, which was sort of fun, though not as extensive as Queen St. back in Toronto. There are some very good shops, though, and many places of food. Terry and Rho joined us (old buds from the Depeche Mode chat) and we went for Indian food on South St. The food was surprisingly good, since the place had the feeling of a pizzaria, even right down to the candy striped tables. We went off for coffee, afterwards and entered into a long, long conversation about all sorts of things, including Bush's stupid war and Canada/US relations. Rho, who is black, entered with me into a wonderful conversation about race and prejiduces and class distinctions - what a smart, awesome woman !

Now I'm back at Ben's and Ali's looking unimpressed with George Carlin on TV, and actually, I'm not finding it so funny, either. Well, okay, I am, but it's more offensive than usual. Wow, he says a lot of stuff we already think and don't ever have the guts to say. Go George ! Anyway, time for D&D. Tomorrow I'm going to the Art Museum. Much fun. Then another horrible bus ride and then straight to work. Crazy !