Tuesday, April 23, 2002

It seems that my going out to visit Mom in the Petes has left my journal ignored. I have no excuse other than my own disinterest, as coming home means lovely distractions. That and the fact that Mom has something of a monopoly on the computer here. It still makes me blink when she says, "Just let me check my email." I'm just not used to her being an email junkie ! This makes it sound like she's checking every ten minutes, but really, when she's on the computer, she's dealing with strike stuff. It seems she's no longer just in charge of the ministry stuff, but has taken to putting the spin on other releases from various ministries, province wide. You can read her releases, of course, at littlesquares. She's really enjoying it, though at the same time, it's exhausting. She's working hard, as are the vast majority of the strikers, but it's really frustrating to make next to no money, week after week. I wish I was in a position to help her out, but I'm so broke, it's painful.

I've had a pile of positive feedback from the people who have seen my website, which is very nice. I'd like to get its browser issues fixed by tomorrow night so that I can get back to fixing Ray's site. I think I'm going to give it a visual overhaul, too, though nothing drastic. Also, tonight I'm going to start sending out my application to jobs. I wish they weren't all out in Montreal, but if that's the way it is, then there's nothing for it but to apply to work in Montreal.

Anyway, let me talk a little bit about my weekend. On Friday, driving out to the Petes, I saw the Aurora Borealis glowing in beautiful green stripes in the sky. By the time I'd found a place to pull over to look at them, the clouds had already covered them. Saturday, I helped Mom work the subscription renewal table at the Peterborough Symphony. I handed out roses to the people who were renewing their seats. It was fun, and I'm such a good shmoozer sometimes. The symphony, itself, was ... FANTASTIC. The guest soloist was Alistair Kay, a trombonist of excellent proportions. The treat for me, however; was the conductor. He was ... dynamic ! I told him after the concert at the reception, "You absolutely rocked the orchestra out." He LOVED that. Anyway, what a nice man, and his parents were there, too, and they were very nice. He really did rock the orchestra out, too. The last time I saw the PSO, I had a nice time, but they had some serious togetherness issues. He has them playing complex, dramatic music, and it's clear that they love him.

Sunday, Mom was on television helping to host the PSO TV Dream Auction. It was such a bizarre sort of community TV event, with next to no script, malfunctioning monitors and screens, and yet, it was clear Mom had fun. I accompanied her to the hardware store to pick up fixings to make my room in Toronto look nicer. Tonight I'll be hanging up the window fixtures, while helping Willi to become accustomed to her new home. I also did a bit of miniature painting, which was very necessary, I must say. I finally painted a miniature for Rick to use in our Toronto gaming sessions. I think he'll like it, I put a lot of work into it.

Oh, and did I mention that it snowed? Yes, that's right, yesterday was full of snow. This led to a rather interesting conversation of what astrologers and soothsayers might have said about things were these the years of Roman rule. To list the weirdness, there was the weekend's rather unlikely earthquake (which I sadly slept through), snow after a week of 30 degree weather. Then there were the odd celestial happenings: aurora borealis, the five planet alignment, as well as the comet. The final conclusion? Things are going to get worse before they get better. How did I deal with these depressing thoughts? I painted more miniatures.

Anyway, I must get my laundry folded and into my suitcase. I plan to be leaving here in the next couple of hours. I really don't want to leave, but... I can't run away from real life, at least, not for long.