Tuesday, February 05, 2002

The connexion my mother has at her house, the one I set up for her, is, without a doubt, the most pathetic connexion I've used since my 14.4k modem. I mean, come on, Sympatico is supposed to not suck, and it certainly doesn't suck in Toronto, but out here, it just can't seem to handle anything. It isn't the computer, it is the provider, I'm almost certain, since it only happens during peak periods of the day. It SHOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ALL WITH A MAJOR, REPUTABLE PROVIDER.

Okay, rant over.

Nick sent me an email about a place he's heard of above the wacky Stephanian Drugs store on College St. Apparently it's two bedrooms, a kitchen and a bath. I bet it's over priced. Woo, listen to me, Ms. Negativity. However, I shall tell him, IF I can get the connexion to remain stable long enough to hit the reply button, to have a look and poke around in it. I won't have a chance to see it until after 8pm Thursday night, at the earliest, or Friday after work, so I trust him to see if things function. Also, finding out how much it costs would be a good idea.

I saw a film last night called "Kandahar". It is a fictional journey through a very real, documentary view of Afganistan. It takes place in the days leading up to the final eclipse of the twentieth century as one Afgani woman (from Canada) tries to find the sister that was left behind when the family fled. It was not an uplifting film, nor was it pessimistic. It showed bravery in the shadow of adversity, courage to carry on, the risks people will take in order to survive, and the desperation of many. I did not weep at the end, though it was not happy, and while I did laugh at various points, the humour was dark and honest. A fantasic journey through a forbidden world as seen through the eyes of a woman who will not give up.