Wednesday, January 02, 2002

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm off to Toronto once more, after a none-too-long vacation here at Mom's. It's sort of sad to go back to TO where I'll have to return to my filthy house in order to work on my final project. I'll have from tomorrow night until the 9th to get it finished. Is it possible? I don't know. It worries me. Also, I must speak to Nick about whether or not he'll actually be able to live with me. If he can't, there's not really any question; Al and Carrie will have a roommate, at least temporarily. This month is going to suck. I suppose, then, it's been good that I've actually had the time to vegetate a bit here at Mom's. It's been a really nice holiday, for both myself and Willi. Who would believe that little Miss Anti-Social Willi-bee would actually get along with Chester and Melody. Willi's been kept completely busy and has hardly been recognisable as her typically irritating self. I wish I could provide her this much interest in my apartment. Anyway, when I move, I'll probably leave Willi with Mom since we know this arrangement works, and it will save me the worry about whether my cat will escape while furniture is moved out various doors.

Anyway, let me give a bit of an account of my holiday. Dinner at the Wissenzes on the 22nd was very good, and, much like last year, Rick's mom spoilt me, but moreso, because last year was only the first Christmas that he and I were dating. Now she seems to want to heap things on me as though I'm one of her own, or soon to be. It's a little daunting, but I really like his parents so I can handle it. We all tootled over to his grandparents' house and ate cookies and had coffee. I like his grandmother lots, I must say. Even Anna, Rick's sister who notoriously dislikes me, was pleasant. She even greeted me and wished me a merry and whatnot. Wacky.

I arrived home on the night of the 23rd after working at Heretic all day. The drive was smooth and hardly a bother at all, the weather conditions were perfect. I discovered that Willi is a LOUD animal when she's pissed off. Apparently, the cat-carrier pisses her off. Once home, Mom made me partake of some small fare before erecting the Christmas tree. I went to bed very late, I must say, because once the tree goes up, we must sit and enjoy it for a time afterward. The following day, Mom and I headed out onto the road again, back to Toronto, to celebrate Christmas at Julie's house. It was wonderful. Absolutely. We brought mince pies and there was lasagna and presents and good fun and spirits. We had intended to go to St George's United Church for the late service, but by the time dinner was over, we were exhausted and only wanted to get back to Peterborough. It was nice, but it certainly is a secular celebration at Julie's. I'm used to a little bit more Christ in my Christmas. Or even carols. Oh well.

Christmas Day was spent at great leisure, sleeping late, and then nursing coffees as we opened presents. I don't much want to chronicle what I got; I'm not that materialistic, or so I like to think, but some things are worth mentioning. Highlights of Julie's house and my Mom's were the volumes 2 and 3 of the Akira reprint, and Eisner's New York. Mom gave me a VCR (joy !) and a gift certificate to Fluevog shoes. WOOHOO ! Fancy feet for me ! We picked up Ray that evening and he joined Mom and I for a lovely turkey dinner. I'd dug up a VHS copy of George C. Scott's "A Christmas Carol" and given it to Mom in her stocking and we three sat and enjoyed it very much after the meal. It was nice.

The 26th was a good day, too, full of leftovers and going to a movie. I persuaded Mom to go see "Fellowship of the Ring" at the theatre here in town. Seeing it with her was quite enjoyable. She remarked that it was racist (which it definitely is), sexist (and not nearly so much as the book), and manipulative (also true, though done well). That said, she was bowled over by the cinematography and direction and became totally engrossed in the whole story. She had to hold my hand everytime one of the black riders appeared. She even conceded that she might like to see it again. Success, then, I think.

Leaving Willi at Mom's, I went back to TO to work Heretic the 27th and 28th. The 27th was Rick's birthday, and it was my treat to take him to my favourite restaurant in the city: The Lobster Trap. I swear, I have never eaten a lobster so sweet and delicious as I did that night. The whole evening was only slightly marred by the mildly sour waitress. I do NOT like being rushed through a meal, especially when I'm spending large sums of money. Anyway, Rick was pleased with the book about Samurai that I gave him, so that was very nice.

Oh, Mom's made lunch, so I'll write more later. Whee, I love being home !