Monday, November 05, 2001

Uhg, it's been three days since I last updated this thing. Bad Maya. *flogs self* Sorry, sorry. I suppose it's testamony of my busy weekend, right? Sure. I'm not sure where to start, though. I'll just glance over how things have progressed. Prepare yourself for a loooooong entry.

On Friday, there was much good fun had at Monsters Inc. ! Nick arrived at my work before everyone else, by a good hour and a half. He was fun and frolicksome as usual, AND he gave me a desperately needed back rub. He was impressed by my shoulders of steel. He can have them if he wants them, tension and all. Rick arrived shortly after I closed the store, as did Tracy and her friend (who has NO direction sense whatsoever), Tammy. We packed Tammy off to the Danforth to have dinner with her friends and the rest of us moseyed over to Java for cheap and tasty dins, which were both cheap and tasty. Suprise !

We went to the Uptown (YAY !) and it's been so long since I've seen a movie there that I have to wax on about how great a theatre it is. Sure, it's not some space-age surround-sound digital-chairs and virtual-fun mecca of entertainment, but it's a massive theatre with a huge screen, great sound system, AND a stage (in case any one wanted to try a kickline). Also, it's got great old Art Deco mouldings on the ceiling and exquisite use of neon lighting. Who could ask for more? They just don't make theatres the way they used to, you know? The worst is, yet again, there's a movement to close it (and the wonderful Eglinton Theatre) down because it isn't wheelchair accessable. Now, I realise people are going to be horrified at what I'm about to say, but you know, just about every damn theatre in the city is wheelchair accessable, and around both the Uptown and Eglinton there are other theatres that have all sorts of wonderful ammenities. The renovations both locales would require would do a lot to damage the integrity of two beautiful historic moviehouses. With all the choice out there for movie watching, why worry about these two places? Leave them alone. Lobby other things, like restaurants and office buildings where there aren't tons of alternative locations. Lobby the city for wheelchair ramps on every curb, etc., but these two theatres out of dozens don't count for all that much. It would be a shame to close them. *steps down off of her soapbox*

At the Uptown, we met up with Paul (Tracy's long-time boyfriend), Al and Carrie, and a couple of Tammy's friends (and Tammy, too). Monsters Inc ROCKED. It was... wow ! The lighting and the... funny... and the... love ! It was so wonderful, and magical even. Oh yes, please go see it if you ever wanted to feel divine. Gah, I can't express how lovely it was. And, as a bonus, it had a teaser for Episode II *swoon* and a short film by Pixar called 'For the birds' if I'm not mistaken. Yay for Pixar. Nick said, "I want to work for Pixar." I replied, "Me too." He grinned and said, "Ya, but I -will- work for them." I hit Nick.

**As an aside, there is the most phenomenal sunset right now, glowing its pink and orange way in through the ROM windows. Spectacular.**

Saturday, there was a field trip to see the very same movie at school, so I ducked out, having just seen it the night before, to go see the new Jet Li flick, The One, with Rick. It was mildly entertaining, but you know what? Watching Jet Li fight Jet Li isn't as cool as it sounds. As the viewer, you know it's all fake and it really kills any tension you might have felt. It was really short, too. Bleh. I was in a bad headspace that evening, and even going for sushi with Rick after the movie didn't help that much. I got home and cancelled on Nick, who was going to come over and tutor me. Tracy cancelled on me, since we were going to do our very late birthday gift swap, and so, Rick spent the night, not that having him spend the night is a bad thing. He's a good egg.

Sunday, Tracy came over at quarter past ten in the morning bearing a coffee and muffin as appology for the night before, and we did gift swapping and had a bit of a visit before I had to get ready for work and she had to get home. She got me a huge, heavy pewter goblet straight out of Lord of the Rings. It's even got runes inscised into it. It's gorgeous. We both gave magical presents to each other. It was nice.

Heretic was dead slow, that day, though, leaving me to brood on my depression. It gets dark so early these days. I hate it. I can hardly wait for snow. Anyway, Nick came to the store with sandwiches to help cheer me up, but he could not partake because he had to leave for the Stereolab show. It was okay, though, because this fellow named Wayne had dropped in and I gave half of a sandwich to him. Nick makes gooooood sandwiches, even if they make breath all stinky-like. *grin* It's not as though I had customers to talk to, yeesh. After that, I walked home and headed to the computer lab to do school stuff. Fabian gave me some help with modeling. I'm going to have to cut down my ROM hours substantially, I can see, just because my free time at home in the evenings is going to be spent doing school stuff at school. I was so tired last night that I could only stay for about an hour.

Today, Deanna and I were going to go to the Royal Winter Fair, but she was poopy and didn't wake up to phone me. I woke up at a quarter to noon and phoned my supervisor at the ROM and asked if I could come in today, afterall, instead of skipping class tomorrow to work. She agreed, and naturally, as soon as I got off the phone with her, Dee called. So, I came to work regardless and Dee met me here for lunch. It was a fly-by visit spent in a cheap Chinese restaurant across Bloor St from the ROM. It was nice to see her, though, I suppose. She gave me an excellent key chain that says: "I don't need to point out my best qualities... they stick out on their own". I gave her the soundtrack I made earlier in the year to all the RP stuff we did on RoD. I forgot to take photos of us, though. Duh. Oh well. Another time, perhaps.

Now I really should get back to the excitement that is data entry here at the museum. Oh yes. The sun has now set so that not even the underside of the observation decks on the CN Tower remains illuminated. When I leave, it will be completely dark. But I'm going for a drink with Stacey so that she can show me her photos from her Asia trip. That will be excellent. I don't plan to do any work tonight at home, with the exception of scanning some referrence images for my school project. Just me, the computer, the Sopranos, and sleep, nice and early. Joy.