Monday, November 19, 2001

I just found the most incredible thing in someone's garbage. I'd have ignored the stuff entirely, had not some other woman been rooting through the boxes of magazines as well. I mean, it's raining out, so magazines get sort of gross, but I stopped and dug through some of the stuff and you'll never guess what I found.

I found a pictorial history of Churchill published in 1965. The best part of it is its inscription, which is only slightly blurred by being set out in the rain. (No book should be abandoned to autumnal rains, it's sad.) "Maya Gunter . c/c D.V.A. WUA. Veteran . Toronto Canada . 1965"

MAYA? Okay, admittedly, it could say Moya, and probably does, but if compared to the Os in Toronto, she doesn't put the the little tails on the top which makes it look more like her As. Anyway, imagine my surprise when picking through some random trash, I come across a book inscribed with my name? This is what makes this the coolest garbaging adventure I've ever had.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the previous post, I have had that particular poem running through my head all day, or parts of it, and I finally dug the text up on the internet. It's possibly one of my favourite poems. Overwrought romanticism and all (that and the evocative description are what I like best, I suppose). What surprises me about 'The Highwayman', though is that it was published in 1907, or thereabouts, which makes it a modern poem, not the Georgian piece people seem to think it is.

And now you know.